9/23/2007

Chapter 93

“For the love of-“ she pasted a smile on her face as Mrs. Rothchild pushed through the door at five of seven. She did not need this today. She’d busted her ass to make sure she was ready when Jon came to pick her up.

“Tessa dear! It’s been ages since we’ve been able to talk!”

You mean when you left me to do the dirty work at the festival. “Simply ages,” she said with a social smile.

“I had to come in since I knew you would be able to take care of me.”

She looked over Carol’s shoulder and saw Nic rolling her eyes, sticking a finger into her mouth as if to gag. Biting back a laugh, she focused on the woman before her. “What can I do for you?”

“I have a housewarming party to go to in half an hour. I need a gift for this poor woman. She simply doesn’t know the first thing about elegant dining. I need a book that will help her, but not look like I’m being uncouth in telling her how.”

As if just walking and breathing you don’t make people feel like crap, right? She led her to the cookbooks area and found the entertaining bookshelves. “How about this?” she pulled an oversized book out and made sure it was in the forty and over dollar price tag. If Carol was going to torture her, she was going to pay for it, that was for sure.

Carol flipped through the pages and mmm-hmmed and uh-huhed her way through the book before shaking her head. “Something a little simpler, I think.” She closed the book, “I understand it of course, but she’s a little simple,” she said in a hushed tone. “She’s new money, dear.”

She thumbed her way across the shelf and caught Jon out of the corner of her eye. She pushed the swing of hair out of her way and smiled, a genuine and bright smile as he leaned against the end of the row. Carol was too busy jabbering away about what the new wife needed to learn to notice him, but she did.

God, did she notice him. Classic style mixed with the rockstar he was in a tight, black turtleneck and windblown hair. A gold watch flashed from his wrist as he tucked his hands in the pockets of his tight, dark washed jeans. His blue eyes sparkled as he smirked and nodded at the back of Carol’s head.

She crossed her eyes as Mrs. Rothchild poured over the books Tessa was holding in her arms. She babbled on and on about what young folks didn’t know about etiquette and good, formal entertaining. When she looked up at her, the older woman’s faded blue eyes sharpened. “Are you listening to me, child?”

Blinking away from Jon’s smile and the teasing fire in his eyes she focused on Carol’s face. “Absolutely, and while elegant and formal dining has it’s place so do the newer styles that Rachel Ray and Michael Chiarello have. They've really come up through the ranks. Elegance can be mixed with the informal and everyday.”

Carol blustered and fluttered as Tessa tugged Michael Chiarello’s book down. “Just look how amazing he can set a table and impress a group with a few well placed dishes and a simple elegance you’re looking for. I think this would be a wonderful book for her to start with and work her way up to the Martha Stewarts and etiquette training.”

“Well if you think…” she trailed off.

“And you’ll be the hit of the party. Everyone will want to look at this book and they’ll realize just how impressive your ideas can be when you fool them with a new way of looking at things.”

Carol looked up at her, “Why yes, I think you’re right. She’ll appreciate this. I’m glad I came in.”

Tessa smiled and laughed when Mrs. Rothchild turned and saw Jon at the end of the stacks and did a double take. “Good evening, Jon.”

“Evening, Mrs. Rothchild,” Jon said genially and tipped his head.

“Well it’s nice to see some of Carol’s boys kept their manners,” she sniffed and walked by. Tessa’s shoulders slumped as she twisted her watch. “I’m sorry, Jon.”

“We’ve got plenty of time, babe. Don’t worry.” He slid his hand along her back and flirted with the edge of her sweater finding the hem and smoothing his fingers beneath to find her skin.

She leaned into him, letting her fingers drift over the butter soft cashmere of his turtleneck. When they were thigh to thigh she sighed and let her cheek rest against his chest for just a second. Just a little bit of his warmth and his unique scent would revive her.

He rubbed his chin over her hair and rubbed her back. “Long day?”

“Carol just was the topper. I was good until then.”

“So, what do I need to do to build up your strength for shopping?”

She pulled back and looked up at him. The crinkled lines at his eyes as he smiled, the dent in his chin and the irreverent shock of blonde hair that had a mind of its own were enough to brighten up a long day. “Caffeine, food and you…either order works,” she said teasingly.

He laced his hands at her back and rolled his hips against her. “Me first then,” he said and dropped a quick kiss on her upturned lips. The first taste didn’t seem enough somehow. And what was supposed to be just a quick kiss lingered as the smile faded and only heat remained.

She groaned against his mouth and lost herself. It was so easy to do when he touched her. No matter what kind of day she had seeing him or even just talking to him could make it all fade away.

Distantly she heard the rustle of a bag as Carol came back down the main aisle with her purchase. She pulled away from him instinctively, still so used to hiding their status from the world.

Carol stopped and her blue eyes turned curious. “Have a good evening, Tessa.”

“You too, Mrs. Rothchild. Thanks for coming in.”

“Mmm-hmm,” she said and turned back one more time before she bustled through the door.

“Good thing we’re out,” she said waspishly. “Carol’s on her way to a,” she made air quotes, “New money housewarming. You and I have just become her new favorite story.”

He smiled and tugged her back into him. “Good, she’ll do the work for us.” He dipped his head down to resume kissing.

She avoided his oh so tempting mouth. “Hey! You know that this just doesn’t mean the rumor mill. This means hard core, everyone and their mother will know, professional phone tree kind of thing.”

“I suppose I should call my mom,” he said thoughtfully. “Just how strong are you feeling?”

“Suddenly I’m feeling very weak.” She had heard stories about the foreboding Carol Bongiovi. She was as protective as a Rottweiler and just as mean.

“My mom will definitely keep for another day,” he said with a laugh.

She detangled herself and headed toward the front. Nic was tallying the day’s totals with a report from the register and in the cashbox closing out. She glanced at the cart of reshelves and shook her head. “Definitely tomorrow for you,” she said and resolved to come in early the next day.

“You about done?” she called out to Nic.

“While you were busy making out in the cooking section,” she peeked her head out the door and grinned. “Great choice by the way, he certainly makes my blood simmer.”

She just arched a brow, “How would you know if we were-“ she cut herself off. It just didn’t seem right to label it as making out. “Doing what we were doing.”

“Far too quiet out there.” She rolled back into the small room. “Besides it’s what Adam and I do in the stacks. Don’t think you’re so special just because you’re locking lips with a rockstar. My husband’s probably a better kisser.”

“I doubt it,” she muttered.

“Why thank you,” he said and slid his hand around her from the back. He buried his nose into her hair and pushed it aside to get to her ear. “Care to test the theory, Nic?” Jon called out.

Nic rolled back out the door and wide brown eyes went a little shocky. “I um…Well, shit.” She rolled back in. “That’s dirty pool!” she shouted from the safety of her cashbox.

“Indeed,” he said into her ear. “I like playing dirty.”

She shivered and extricated herself before she got into trouble. “Unh uh, don’t tease the help Jon. Why don’t you go sit in the car so I can close up?”

“Can’t concentrate when I’m around?” he said with a knowing smirk.

She sneered at him. “You think you’re so cute. Just go!” Because he was right she swallowed a laugh when he snorted and turned to go.

“Move that pretty ass, we got money to spend,” he called out as he headed to front door.

Nic rolled back out and watched until he left. “Jesus, how do you leave the house? I’d have that strapped to my bed, twenty-four seven and never leave.”

“No you wouldn’t.”

“If I didn’t have Adam, I would!” she said and scooted back inside.

“Yeah, well he’s too intense to have around you all the time. He’d suck you dry just like he does to me.”

Nic flipped around in her chair and scuttled back out. “She speaks! Tell me more,” she said and leaned against the half wall that cut off the store and the register into two separate sections.

“He’s taking me out for New Year’s.”

“That’s great! It’s about time you got to see how the other half lives. Where are you going?”

“To Elton John’s New York City bash.”

“Holy fuck,” Nic whispered.

“Yeah! Thank you! I’m freaking out.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about this earlier?”

“Did you not hear me say I was freaking out?!”

“Why are you so weird? I don’t know another woman that freaks out so silently. Did he just spring this on you?”

“Yes! Yesterday! I don’t know what to wear, how to act, what to say. Christ,” she squeezed her eyes shut.

“What a shit! Only two days to get ready? Is he out of his mind?”

“Partially,” she said sarcastically. “He doesn’t think about things like this. His wife was made for it, she never looked like she enjoyed it, but she had things in her closet to wear. I don’t! Even my trendy little black dress would look like a rag next to the wardrobe of these people.”

“What are you going to do? And what did he mean, ‘spend money’?”

She sighed. “He’s taking me shopping tonight. We’re hitting the shops in the city.”

Nic’s head hit the wood balustrade and she moaned. “You get to shopping on Jon’s dime in the city? What the hell are you complaining about? You’ll find something absolutely magnificent and make every woman from here to Europe jealous as hell.”

“I don’t want him to-“

Nic cut her off. “If you say you don’t want him to buy you stuff I’m going to vault over his wall and strangle you. Let him!”

“I am. I don’t like it, but I am.”

“Well learn to like it. It’s kind of a perk of the job if you will.”

“He’s not a job! He’s-“

“He’s what?” Nic said gently.

“I don’t know what he is. I love him stupid.”

“Well, learn to love his credit card stupid for the night and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.” She rolled back into the room and finished counting up for the night.

Tessa let her head tip back. “Live in the moment.” She wasn’t sure she knew how to do that. All her life she’d been about goals and looking ahead, living in the now was just temporary. She didn’t do temporary very well.

Five minutes later she was out the door, the store locked up and opening the door to a Lincoln Towncar. She flipped her coat over Jon’s and followed instinct and curled next to him.

He lifted a Dunkin’ Donuts bag and cup for her. “As requested.”

She tore into the bag and lifted out a croissant with melted cheese and tomatoes. “Perfect. How did you know?”

”You just don’t seem the fake ham kind of girl. You seem to pretty much eat anything. I took a guess.”

She bit in and thumbed off a buttery crumb that stuck to her lips and popped it into her mouth. “Good guess.” She gestured the steaming cup in his hand, “What? No wine?”

Laughing, he took a sip. “Wine’s waiting at Maryanne’s place.”

“Who’s Maryanne?” she asked between bites.

“She’s a friend.”

She grinned, “Ex lover?” she teased.

He shifted in his seat. “A long time ago, and I do mean a long time ago. We’ve stayed friends through the years. She’s got this great place on Sixth. I figured we’d hit a few of the smaller places that stay open late.”

Not knowing what to think about an ex-lover she continued eating in silence. It wasn’t surprising that he’d had lovers. Especially when he’d been in and out of the City from his teen ages and up. Would she be beautiful? Artsy? Worldly?

She rolled up the bag and crossed a leg over his knee. His hand lingered along her thigh, rubbing absently. He made a few calls as she stared out the window, enjoying some much needed downtime.

She closed her eyes and listened to the cadence of his voice as it changed with each phone call. Cajoling for one, steely for another, affectionate for the last and each seemed to have subliminal sex woven through it all. His voice was naturally sexy. It was a tool for him to get what he wanted. He’d certainly gotten her. She dozed against him, with the buzz of his voice following her into dreams.

19 comments:

norwichliz said...

I understand completely. His voice does it for me too...speaking,singing...whispering...*sigh*...Yeah he could get me to anything he wanted...just by speaking.

Anonymous said...

I know!!! He would read the dictionary to me and I would be mesmerized!!!LOL!!! I loved it Tara....the public affection, the parties.....it's so scary for her, but still so wonderful!!! Ahhh..to be Tessa for just 1 day!!!LOL!!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

It's so crazy how these two characters have become a part of my (and I'm sure others here) life. Do I need to say again, that I love this chapter (as I do all of them? And love the comfort level they have together. Waiting patiently for the shopping excursion!! Worth the wait! I wish you could write everyday!! You def got your Mojo back!

Anonymous said...

thats was great tara...loved it! like alot of us, his could read the phonebook to me and i'd be memorized!!!!

AJ

Anonymous said...

great chapter - his mom's not Italian but years ago i actually thought she was by her personality... :)

TaraLeigh said...

Thanks for the tip. Forgot that his mom was of a different descent. I made the corrections. ;)

Glad you guys are still lovin' the story. New chapter very soon.

She's A Mystery said...

Jon could get me to do anything just by looking at me lol.. awesome chapter cant wait for the shopping.

Queenie said...

Great chapter Tara. I agree with the others about his voice. He could sing his ABC's for all I care. It would still turn me to mush. Love that he is taking her shopping because he waited so long to ask about going out. Besides, Tessa works hard, she needs to be pampered a bit.

Love it Tara, absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

What a nice treat to wake up to on a Monday morning! Tara your mojo is definitly back babe :) - You do this so well - I could actually hear the snippy condesending voice of Mrs. Rothchild and could just feel Tessa wanting to scream BITE ME! - Thankfully you were equally able to convey the slutry, sexiness of Jon's voiceas well. Each chapter is the perfect combination of giving the reader just enough to satisfy but always leaves us wanting more. Way to go!!!!
Chris

The Goddess Hathor said...

Tara, well worth the wait. Making out with him at work; how I wouldn't love to do THAT at my stuffy office LOL!

I agree, learn to love the credit card today. It's his fault she's rushed after all...

Hope Maryann has large dressing rooms w/a couch.....

Anonymous said...

i LOVE this story! do you know when the new chapter will be up?:)

TaraLeigh said...

Hiya everyone! Sorry I've been slow on the updates this week. I have one of my best friends in from Canada for the week and well...I guess it would be rude to say, hey Nik would you mind if I wrote for a few hours? LOL So, I'll get a new chapter up early next week.

Thank you all for keeping this story alive as always. I love that I keep finding new readers and new comments all the time. It gives me the warm fuzzies when I see something in my email nearly every day!

I already started on the shopping chapter and will finish it up and post ASAP.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Tara - we'll be here waiting when you get HOME. Heard you were doing some research/shopping of your own hehehe - enjoy your visit!
Chris

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm loving this story!!! Dying for the new chapter though. C'mon Tara - kick your friend out LOL.

Btw, I really enjoy your writing style - keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Why are there no new chapters???

TaraLeigh said...

LOL
I know...I'm sorry no chapters this week. Promise...working on the next one as we speak. My GF from Canada just left 10mins ago. ;)

Unknown said...

Just got all caught up, and boy I am loving this so much!

Dude, I would be petrified if I were Tessa, better her then me! lol ;) But it's heartwarming that Jon is trying to ease her stress by going shopping :D

*tries to wait patiently for more*

Anonymous said...

I just read this story and am loving it. I check back several times a day for a new chapter, I am addicted

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know I love this story.
Read everything around one week and now I can’t wait for the next chapter. Just keep on going!

Great work!

Hugs from Germany, Sandy xxx


Following HOME