7/04/2007

Chapter 73

Tessa leaned on the garage door for a moment longer, watching the kid friendly car drive off. Jon had been very introspective through the reading and well into the downtime after she’d finished The Nutcracker. It drove her a little nuts when he got that distant look in his eyes.

Normally, he was pretty open with his emotions, especially if she had access to those intense eyes of his. They couldn’t hide much. And she’d bet her mortgage note that he wore sunglasses as much to hide that as to protect his super-sensitive eyes.

With a deep sigh she walked through the storeroom and headed back into the store. Most of the people had filtered out when the story had ended and a few stragglers had gone to finish some last minute shopping. As usual, Nic was keeping the flow of customers moving and she couldn’t stop the satisfied smile at the sound of overactive registers.

“Tessa!”

She turned and found the coiffed reporter still waiting for her. Damned if she could remember her name, though. She rushed forward with an outstretched hand. “Oh, I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize you were waiting for me.”

The woman took her hand and leaned forward. “Had to sneak the boyfriend out the back, huh?” she said low into her ear.

Tessa laughed and pulled back. “Boy, I wish. No, just let Mr. Bon Jovi and Mr. Sambora out the back so they wouldn’t have to deal with the reporters.” Tessa cleared her throat as she realized who she was talking to. “Well, you know what I mean.”

“Oh no, I get it honey. Jon and I go way back anyway.” Her brilliant, camera ready smile didn’t show an ounce of pleasure. “I already got my little Christmas bonus with a sound byte.”

Tessa’s fingers slid together and locked. “I didn’t realize you were friends. He’s a really nice man.”

She let the mic dangle over her crossed arms. “Then you don’t know him at all.” Her smile turned feline, “Jon has a ruthless streak when it comes to what he wants. Hmm…I thought for sure you were cozying up to our newest bachelor.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name,” Tessa asked, sidestepping the question.

Her eyes cooled even further, “Charlotte Burke, I’m the on location reporter for Channel 7.”

“Oh, that’s right. I don’t get to watch the nightly news too much,” Tessa tried to smile through the arctic blast that the reporter seemed to give off. Not knowing what she did wrong, she forced herself to stop frowning. She shrugged, “I work way too much. I’m sure you know how it is.”

“Indeed,” she said. She waved her camera guy to come forward. “Mind if I do a quick segment to go with the clip from the reading?”

Tessa’s hands came to rest at her side. “Sure. I appreciate the fact that you waited while things calmed down a bit.” She pressed down the unease simmering in her belly. The reporter seemed to be trying to push her buttons for some gossip. She’d been dealing with reporters all day, but her shoulder blades got twitchy with this one.

Charlotte fussed with her hair and glossed on a fresh swipe of lipstick. “This is Charlotte Burke with News 7 on location at Chapters Bookstore in Red Bank. The proprietor has won over the town with her beautiful storytime sessions each Sunday night. But even more interesting is that she seems to have caught the eye of one of our most famous bachelors. Jon Bon Jovi makes it a point to come in with his children for a rare public appearance on at least two occasions now. Tell me Miss Donovan, how does it feel to have someone so famous sitting there as you’re reading something as classic as The Nutcracker?”

Tessa’s heart fisted. What the hell was she supposed to say to that? “Jon’s been a great patron to the store. It’s a little disconcerting to have a famous person in your store of course, but he really just likes to blend in and not make waves. His kids love our Sunday Storytime and we are proud to have him as a customer.”

“There’s been some rumor that you’ve been dating our newest bachelor,” Charlotte smiled winningly.

“Now? In the middle of retail crunch time? That’d be a pretty mean feat wouldn’t it?”

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

Not wanting to lie outright she smiled. “I’m much too busy to think about that right now.”

“Well then you’d have to be dead-“ Charlotte cut herself off, realizing too much of her cattiness was slipping into the interview. “I would never be that busy.”

“Well Chapters has eaten up a lot of my time in the last year but it seems to have paid off. I never dreamed we’d enjoy this much success our first year.”

Reluctantly Charlotte followed where Tessa steered the conversation and she wrapped up the interview. As her cameraman packed up his equipment she pushed Tessa off to the side. “I have to give you credit, you’re a smart woman to be able to side step those questions about Jon. Let me give you a little bit of friendly advice.”

Tessa’s whole body stilled. “I’m not sure why you feel the need to,” she said tightly.

“Because I’ve been there before. He tires easily, darlin’ just remember that before you get in over your head. After the wife he’s not looking for anything permanent if you get my meaning.”

Tessa swallowed with a little difficulty but kept her eyes on the reporter’s. “Thanks for the unnecessary tip.”

“You seem like a nice enough woman, so take my advice. I don’t blame you for enjoying the ride, I know I did.” She slid into her perfect cashmere coat and followed her tech out the door.

“Tessa, are you okay?”

Distantly she realized Nic was there beside her, but the buzzing in her ears wouldn’t stop. She knew he wasn’t a saint, but hearing it first hand. She pressed her hand to her churning stomach. “Yeah, I’m fine, let’s just close up okay?”

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the summer storms have let up enough so AI could get on here and read the newest chapter. Hum sees like Charlotte should get on her broom and ride out of there! Great chapter! Tessa sure can hold her own with the press!

Alice Faye

Anonymous said...

This story should be made into a movie. I swear! It's brilliant. & I just can't wait for chapter 74.

The Goddess Hathor said...

Good Lord, Charlotte sure is a bee-otch! Don't know what I would have kept my cool with her rudeness. Credit to Tessa's concern for Jon, though!

Thanks for the latest installment; waiting anxiously for the next chapter!

Queenie said...

Can I just say I would like to smack Charlotte up one side and down the other!! Way to go Tessa for keeping her cool.

Bring on Chapter 74!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting this chapter of so quick. Just make sure you keep it up -- LOL!! Tessa handles herself like a pro with the press -- something she is going to have to get used too. Hopefully she won't take what Charlotte said to heart. She is going to have to get used to hearing about Jon's womanizing! Get on to Chapter 74 and make it longer huh? That was too quick a read!

TaraLeigh said...

LOL!
I know, sorry...too quick of a read indeed. But I wanted to get what I had up. Christmas is almost here.

Anonymous said...

Bring on Christmas! I'm dying here and definitely need a longer read. LOL! Another great chapter and can't wait for the next one.

Anonymous said...

hey tara...remember me?!?! thanks for letting me know that there was a new chapter up and ready!!! lol!! like a lot of the other readers i am very impressed that tessa kept her cool with the reporter! i don't know if i could have!!! kudos to tessa!!!

BRING ON CHRISTMAS!!!!!
great job!!!

AJ

T said...

Tara,
Great chapter! I don't know how Tessa kept from reaching out and giving Charlotte a good smack! I know I wanted to. :)
Can't wait for a little Christmas in July!

~T

Anonymous said...

Great Job Tara..... Charlotte needs to be put in her place and in the long run I'm sure Tessa can do it!!!! Waiting for Xmas is always so tough :)
rutpop

Anonymous said...

what a great chapter Tara! cant wait for xmas and the next chapter, dont wait to long lol. keep up the good work hon!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hey Tara is that wedding over yet? Is it Xmas time yet? :)
rutpop

Starr said...

That Charlotte is worse than a bitch! I wanted to grab her coiffed hair and drag her away! I hate reporters such as her, just nasty barracuda's all of them!

Good job Tara with this chapter!

Super_Kiwi said...

OMG I wanna slap her toooo. What a dog.

I loved how Tessa handled herself though and didnt let on anything, she did really well on that. Woo.

Rolll on Xmas!


Following HOME