8/28/2008

Chapter 130

Jon held her tighter. The fact that there wasn’t an ounce of reaction out of her scared him more than if she’d screamed. He’d welcome the screaming. This silence was louder than a scream. It seemed to fill the room with an unbearable sadness.

He wiped the tears he’d been unaware of shedding off of his jawline and cheek. Watching her heartbreak, the way she just seemed so lost in the too white, too sterile bed broke him apart. Pulling back a little, he looked down at her, but she wouldn’t meet his eyes. She just stared at the wall next to him. He moved until he could force the contact, but she didn’t seem to see him at all.

Dr. Esser sighed. “I’ll be back in a little while so we can talk a bit further. I have a few names of councilors that I trust.”

“When can I leave?” Tessa asked.

“We’ll need to do some additional tests to make sure everything went well—“

“When?”

The doctor folded her arms against her chest again. “In a couple of days if all goes well.”

“Couple? Does that mean two?” Tessa pulled away from him. Her fingers stayed slack in his hand. He curled them tighter, still not getting a response. She couldn’t pull away from him. Not now.

“We’ll see after the next set of tests come back. I’ll be back in a bit to check on you. There are people waiting outside that would like to see you.”

“I don’t want to see anyone.”

Frowning, Jon cupped her cheek and turned her until she looked at him. Her beautiful green eyes were flat, emotionless. The warmth and the fire were gone. Lacing his fingers with hers, he wanted to scream at her. “Tessa, it’s Nic. She needs to know you’re all right.”

She slipped away from him, curling into herself, not into him. He heard the gasp, stepping closer to her, about to round the bed he stilled as she hissed out a slow breath. They had her so wrapped up, he knew there had to be stitches pulling. “Tell her I’m okay. Tell her that I need rest.”

He stopped, cupped his hand around her shoulder, pressing his nose into her hair. “Tessa, please. We can get through this together. I promise.”

“I just need a little time,” she said. “If you could just let me be alone for a little bit, that’d be great.”

Her voice held no inflection, no life. He sat back in the chair. He didn’t want to leave her alone. This was one of those times where they needed each other the most. “Tess—“

“Really, Jon.” She turned her cheek toward him, but still wouldn’t look at him. “I’ll be okay.”

Not them, not they would be okay. She would be okay. Stuffing down the paranoia and the hurt, he stood. “I’ll be back.”

“Just go home, Jon. I’ll be asleep.”

“I’m not leaving you alone, Tessa. Not ever again.” When she didn’t reply, he clenched his fists at his sides. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Still she stayed silent, just curled into that little ball. She looked so small and broken, so not his Tessa.

Scrubbing tired hands over his face he fisted his fingers into his hair. This couldn’t be happening. He left the room, leaning back on her door as he took a steadying breath. Dragging fingers across his wet eyes, he sniffed.

Dr. Esser was waiting for him. “Mr. Bon Jovi?”

Jon pushed his hair back, clearing his throat. She motioned him over to the nurses station. “That was a typical response, really. You just have to be patient. It’s going to take some time, but I’ll do everything I can to help her get through this.” She handed him a card. “This is my personal recommendation for a councilor. She’s one of the best that I know.”

“Is there more news? More than you told her?”

The doctor’s face carefully shuttered. Her brown eyes took on the professional detached look he was used to seeing with doctors. “Now that Tessa is out of trouble, I can’t discuss her treatment. The privacy act protects her.”

Frustration unfurled. Yet another thing holding him away from her, another thing to close him off. “You don’t have to tell me what it is, just if there’s more.”

She nodded. “There are some things she’s going to have to deal with, yes.” She smiled gently. “Beyond the loss, there’s a bit more.”

Jon felt the fist that had just began loosening around his heart tighten again. He stared down at his hands, clenching and unclenching uselessly. God, could there really be more? How much more was she supposed to take? How much was they supposed to endure? Wasn’t the loss enough?

Dr. Esser put a comforting hand on his arm. “I’ll be back to see her a little later on today. Let her get some rest. It’s the best place to heal.”

Looking up he saw Nic’s expectant face across the hallway. Adam stood behind her, crowding in close to show support, to let her lean on him. Adam’s hand on her shoulder, her fingers covering his. Connected. He closed his eyes for a moment. That was the connection he was used to. What he relied on. What he wanted to give. “Dammit, Tessa!” he whispered fiercely.

Raising his chin, he said his goodbyes to the doctor and walked toward two people that meant the most to Tessa. Who were beginning to mean just as much to him. He never found it easy to let someone into his inner circle, but Tessa had wormed her way in without much of a fight, dragging her little world in with her. “Hey, Nichole,” he said gently. Taking a step back as she threw herself into his arms, he caught her. “Hey, it’s okay, shhh.” He said and hugged her in close. “She didn’t stay awake long,” he lied smoothly.

Adam frowned, but Jon just shook his head. The silent communication was complete with just that one look. Adam’s face smoothed as he slid an arm back around Nic’s shoulders when she let him go.

“Does she know? Did you tell her?”

“The doctor came in and explained things to her.”

“But you didn’t tell her?” Nic asked expectantly.

“I didn’t have time…” Jon began, but stopped. He did have time, he’d had a few minutes with her alone, but he hadn’t been able to do it. Hadn’t wanted to watch her shatter at his words. “I couldn’t,” he said hoarsely.

“I see,” she said softly. “Can I see her?”

“She’s asleep again, and the doctors need to run more tests. They want us to go home and leave her alone for now.”

“Are you leaving?”

Jon shook his head. “No. I’m going to stay with her.” He tugged on the t-shirt he’d been wearing for days now. “I’ll have Richie grab me some clothes and take a shower in her room.”

“Jon, why don’t you go home and get a little sleep. Talk to your family.” Nichole’s dark eyes were wet with tears. “They need you too.”

“She needs me more,” Jon said firmly.

The pain flickered, then eased in Nic’s gaze. “All right.” She stepped in closer, wrapping her arms around his middle, hugging him tight.

He wanted to break, wanted to just go away and sleep it all away like the nightmare it should be. Pressing a soothing touch across her back because she needed it, he sighed. “She’s going to be okay, Nic. I promise I won’t let her down again.”

She pulled back. “You didn’t.”

He met her stricken brown eyes and knew in his heart it was true. “I did. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

“Jon, you—“

Adam stepped forward and rested a hand on Nichole’s neck. “We’ll be here when she needs us.”

She turned around, frowning at her husband, “But it’s not his—“

“It is my fault. She was there alone because I was too wrapped up in the record,” Jon said firmly.

“No!” Nic pulled away from Adam, whirling on Jon. “You couldn’t know.”

“I should have.”

“But that’s not the same. Don’t you think I blame myself? I should have stayed with her. Not let her close up without me. Don’t you think I feel like it’s my fault too?” She clasped his hand between hers. “It wasn’t anyone’s fault.”

“I knew she wasn’t feeling well, but I forgot to check on her. I forgot to pay attention.”

“Jon, that’s crazy. She didn’t even tell me she wasn’t feeling well.” Confusion swelled with her tears.

“I knew.”

Nic looked up and over Jon’s shoulder. He watched relief smooth out her features. “Oh thank God. Richie please talk some sense into him.”

“We need to talk, Jonny,” Richie said solemnly.

21 comments:

Super_Kiwi said...

Wow.

Jon honey, Tessa just needs some time. She just lost a part of herself, major major part of herself. And somehow I don't think the worst is over by the sounds of it.

Tessa, don't block out Jon for too long, he lost something here too, he needs you as much as you need him right now. Again somehow I think there is more heartbreak to come.

Compelling writing I must say, the raw emotion, Jon's despair and frustration, Tessa's numbness cut right through me.

Nic and Rich, you need to be there for your friends right now and help them get through it.

Fab Darl, just fab.

T

Anonymous said...

there is more? More bad news? I can't take it.

Anonymous said...

Taraaaaaaaa, stop making me cry!!!!

No more bad news, please!!!!!!

Judith

Anonymous said...

What awesome emotion. I know there is more heartbreak to come, I just don't know if we're ready for it......

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something somewhere? Are we supposed to know what Jon is going to tell her or was that already discussed? I'm sorry, but I'm so confussed! (Maybe because I feel like I'm living this story and I'm so upset, but anyway...)He said he "couldn't tell her and watch her shatter at his words".

TaraLeigh said...

When I was writing it, I was hoping you guys would see that Jon's reticence to tell her about the baby himself might bite him in the ass later.

That he let the doctor do the dirty work...not cool.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ok. I got you. Oh and bite him it will. Not too bad though, because he really has been a good guy to her. Not a pr*ck like he could've been at times. Hopefully he'll explain to her sooner rather than later so it doesn't get worse!

Queenie said...

God Tara, this was heartbreaking. He couldn't or wouldn't tell her and now she is turning away from him. This is so not good. I hope they can work through this and come out on the other side in one piece.

Nic is right, it wasn't his fault, wasn't her fault, it just happened. It sucks that it happened, but no one could have foreseen this. Not even the great JBJ.

Keeping the tissues handy. I have a feeling I'm going to need a whole bunch more.

Anonymous said...

It's never good when Richie is solemn...

Scarlett said...

I can't believe how much you had me crying again! This chapter was just as heartbreaking as the last. Poor Johnny all alone. And the post before mine took the words right out of my mouth "its never good when Richie's solemn". That may have me worried more than Tessa for now! Please don't let it be one of the kids, and Jon had to choose between them or her.

Don't leave us hanging, I neeeeeed to know what Richie's bad news is or I'll just think of every worst case scenario!

Anonymous said...

Bravo Tara! i will be keeping the tissue's close by as well.

AJ

Anonymous said...

OK, I just bought a tissue big box, where is the next chapter? ;)

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Tara ... this was incredibly heart-wrenching. So well written.

I figured there would be more bad news ... especially considering what the surgeon had to remove...

And now Richie walks in ...

Be strong Jonny.

Fantastic work Tara.
PJJ

Bayaderra said...

Another great chapter Tara!
*sniff, wipin a stray tear*
Holding my breath for the next chapter....

The Goddess Hathor said...

I'm with PJJ -- I knew there had to be other bad news. Rich, just keep being the friend he needs.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping Richie needs to talk about some reporter getting wind of Tessa's complications and printing it in a daily tabloid. NOT an incident with Jon's kids or ex.....

Anonymous said...

Taraaaaaa!!!! You promised more chapters!!!
Where are you, I need more!!!

awww please hon, I want them happy again soon.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Tara I seem to remember something about 3 chapters, so how about it :)
Chris

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

Oh Tara you know I have no patience!!!!! Please!!!!! I guess I just like to cry cause I love this story.

joviswillow said...

Darling Tara-

For months now I have been reading the document version that you were so kind to send to me. Today, I "graduated" to the blog version.

There really are no words for me to express how much I am loving this story. It took me some time to get all the way through it. It's amazing, expressive, funny and touching and thoughtful - happy and sad, insightful. I love these characters and I cannot wait to see what the furture holds for them.

JohnnaJovi said...

Richie knew? How could he not tell Jon?

I can't wait to read more!!!!


Following HOME